Night view of Michigan Tech




CEGE Handbook

Graduate Student Resources Canvas Page







International Students

Upon arrival on campus all international students must register with the Office of International Programs and Services located in room 200 of the Administration Building. All matters concerning employment practice, visa renewals, and related matters are handled through this office. Changes in I-20 forms are handled in the Graduate School.

All international students whose native language is not English must take an English Language Assessment. The assessment takes place in the Michigan Tech Testing Center, Center for Teaching and Learning, Van Pelt and Opie Library 226. Visit the Testing Center to schedule a time to take the assessment or contact them at 906-487-1001, More details can be found at

Additionally, all first-time international students assigned a GTA must attend International Graduate Student Communication and Cultural Center (IGSC3). Students’ language skills and their cultural competency will be assessed, and students will be provided with services on an as-needed basis so they can provide better service to our undergraduates and faculty while serving as graduate teaching assistants. Additional information is here

In order to be visa compliant, international students must register as full-time students. Questions regarding I-20 forms, visa status, and full-time student status may be directed to the Graduate School.